I have recently finished watching excellent Pluralsight course Getting Started with CloudFlare™ Security by Troy Hunt and got so intrigued by it that I wanted to get more familiar with it. Fortunately I already had Web App running on Azure that was configured with custom domain name and SSL certificate. It turned out to be a perfect continuation from the previous post.
So, what is so special about CloudFlare? Here’s a short list of fascinating features that were of particular interest to me that are available in free and paid plans.
CloudFlare makes site safer by:
- Enabling SSL Support for your site
- Redirecting visitors to HTTPS/SSL
- Offering HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS)
- Protecting against DDoS attacks
- Protecting against XSS and SQL injection attacks
- Protecting against content scrapers or content thieves
- Protecting against bandwidth thieves
- Reducing spam comments
- Limiting content from suspicious visitors
CloudFlare makes site faster by:
- Providing CDN services
- Offering custom caching options
- Improving a web page’s window.onload time
- Providing Always On functionality
As a side benefit, making your site faster improves its web search ranking.
These are just few awesome features provided by CloudFlare. The full list can be found on Overview page.